Sunday, July 05, 2009

Loss


The death wave of one public figure after another continues to assault and pummel us and the latest is a 36 year man in the prime of his life.

Ed McMahan seemed to be on my TV my whole life and while I cannot remember details of watching as a youth I know I did.

As I child I have strong memories of being in my peepaw's den, shooting pool. On the wall was the famous poster of Farrah Fawcett with her head lights on and on the radio was Michale Jackson. While I cannot say I am personally damaged because of the loss of either, I can say losing them both on the same day seems to be an ominus conclusion that those younger days are gone. 

Karl Malden was an under rated actor good at both villain and hero, I wish more people understood how good he was. 

For the most part these deaths were not shocking though. Many of these folks had long standing medical conditions.  

Then came the most shocking Steve McNair, a man younger than I am, cut down in his prime. I fondly remember watching games from tiny Alcorn State because ESPN though we had to see this kid. We did, his combination of grit, determination, size, speed, and fire was awesome to behold. I went on to watch his NFL career, even finding myself (a career Packer fan) rooting for the Titans and Ravens with McNair. I will not say McNair was my favorite player but I can say he was close, his fourth and 4 yards "just give me the rock coach, I got this" mentality was contagious and exactly what NFL QBs are supposed to be about. 

I will miss Steve McNair and his style of play and I hope his children carry on his legacy. Prayers and wishes to McNairs. Thanks for the picture Mr. Bryne