Thursday, May 14, 2009

Prayers



At all times we each have something or someone to pray for. I assume each of you, like me do that praying in your own way and feel uncomfortable putting your burdens on others.




Some where Mark Herlich is doing the same thing. Herzlich is a 6'4 240 pound wrecking ball All American LB. With 110 tackles, six interceptions, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries last year on the way to being named the ACC defensive player of the year. No small feat when you consider one of the men he beat out, defensive teamate BJ Raji, went #9 overall.


He seeks and destroys ball carriers, quarterbacks, and all things offensive on the football field. A projected first rounder in next years draft, Herlich was considered a top 45 player in this years draft had he declared.


Today it was announced that Herlich has Ewing's sarcoma, a cancer found in soft tissue and bone. The rough and tumble LB known for his war painted face (as emmulated by EO Jr in flag football) and 410% motor is not going quietly however...


"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do," Herzlich said in a statement released by the school.


Nor is Herlich ready to give up his football days...


"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on," he said. "Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."


Obviously football is not the priority any more and to see a awesome physical specimen like Herzlich struck with a disease like this puts life into perspective for all of us, but it is good to see his fire and drive alive. That passion maybe what it takes for him to win the biggest battle of his life.

I for one will be adding Herzlich to my prayer list and I hope anyone that reads this also has room. I too will pray for the rest of my list and for each of your list.